Thursday, July 13, 2006

i had to learn

Yesterday was proven my unlucky day. I know I promised myself that I will only be blogging happy thoughts here but I just can't help but feel really really bad. So forgive me... just for today, I will have to do ranting on this page...

To start my story, my first ever project with Regent was to come up with a homepage. Of course, my priority were the web designers that i've worked with in my previous job. I had my reasons: one- I juts want to help them in my own little ways, two- personal , meaning I just assume that they could be more reliable and "just" more than the people that I barely know and lastly - it comes out cheaper somehow. So there, I contacted a few of my former co - workers to give me a quotation and present me a proposal for our website. With not so much ado, I decided to get Andy , a former staff when I was working with Traffic Power as CNN Account Manager. True for a fact, I was aware that he was not that good compared to the other three web designers that I spoke with. Well, I had my reasons why I had to do so. He was about to get married at that time and so as expected the "emotional tin" decided to give him that project for a little financial help. But of course, I didn't tell him that! So the website was started, I gave him all the materials need ... pictures, copies ,etc. And he got paid full of course. Two months after, we had a little problem in the office because we needed to do an upgrade on our webspace which affected our emails. I had to ask him for the after-service assistance for Regent which is supposedly part of his contract anyway. Day 1, day 2, day 3 , I was texting him and sending him emails and I was so pissed that i didn't get any reply from this guy. One thing I hate about people! Worst is that my local phone kept ringing because the outlook/email problems had been stressing out the operations. Ok, on day 4, I gave up. I texted him and I was mad already. I told him to give me a date on when he can have this fixed and were done...as bad as it can be,still he did not reply. So I texted him and I told him that I was very disappointed because he was very unreliable. Imagine, it was just 2 months and yet he showed how hard it is if I am to deal with him for the rest of the year? So I had to cut off my losses. I couldn't afford to stress myself nor be responsible for his lame work attitude. so if the problem is not being able to reach this person then I muight as well look for somebody else who can do work better. I have my obligations to my boss as well, you know. I had to find my own means to survive. I contacted Allan, a Senior Web Developer ,who used to work for the same company. Initially I had to confide if my reaction was right or if I was just overreacting. I showed him the contract , told him the detailed incident, the texts and even some of the emails. This is not to ruin Andy's reputation but more of - I wanted to know if I was reasonable enough to get pissed about the situation. He said - I was. Aside from being a friend ( used to be -as of last night!), Allan said it was very unprofessional of Andy to treat me that way, to treat his clients that way. I asked allan if he can offer me maintenance and update services for the website. He said yes only if he will be allowed to redesign the site. He said he didnt want to maintain a webpage which is not actually his work. And understand why. So we agreed,Allan will redesign our website ...for free!!! ( God is so good! ) I only have to pay him for the updates and maintenance of the site. And in return of that favor, I will be referring his services to our clients. So, I was relieved. I thought that problem was solved not until last night....

I received a text message from Andy asking me what was Allan's problem and he also said that he was able to prove how unethical I am. The nerves! Was it me? or him? I called him to clear things out. The wife answered and she had to interfere! She was actually freaking out! She was talking for about 10mins! If I may say :"dakdak ng dakdak"! I asked her to hand his husband the phone because I dont have anything to do with her. The wife said that she was the one who made the contract so shewas claiming she knew what happened. Ok! I am not gonna step down to her level. I waited for her to stop even if I was so "giiiiigilllll" already. When Andy finally gathered his guts to take my call- I said my piece. I said that it was so gay of him to ask his wife to intervene. I am really pissed at that time! I stated my reasons why I had to get rid of him in the first place and I hope that for the nth time he was able to realize why. Lastly I told him that -that was the first and last time that I will have to talk to him about that issue. I had enough.

I had to learn a lot from that. I know it was partly my fault because there was a personal relationship concerned when I decided who to get. It was my bad after all. Good thing there were people who unexpectedly showed up and were kind enough to offer me help. I am very thankful. Next, my OM just called and she asked why I looked sad. Even if I wanted to forget about it, I had to tell her what happened. She gave me wordsof wisdom which I will keep in mind. She also told me that I did the right thing anyways so I might as well forget about it. She even congratulated me for being able to deal with the situation. Lastly, everyone loved the redesigned website!!( www.regettravel.com.ph ) It was after all a blessing in disguise! The outcome was better, I must say!

I had to learn... It was afterall , a happy thought :)

After this blog, I promised myself that I will not anymore talk about what happened. I will no longer answer any text messages from that guy nor tell anyone what happened. I want to forget about it. A bad dream.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.