Tuesday, July 25, 2006

@ work

Working for three years now, i've realized a lot of things about life and work. I've always wanted to become my own boss....no time-ins, no 9-6 schedules to deal with, being responsible for your own deadlines. But I guess, man can't really be lucky enough to always get what he wants at an instant. I am now working as Business Development Executive in a Marine Travel Company. I am enjoying my work because of all the travel perks that I am getting, not to mention the free hotel meetings during meeting of course! =) I like my work now because of the people I work with -not everyone of course because there will always be "negative forces" wherever you are, but I am pleased that I have ate mhel, our accountant whom I eat my hearty lunch with everyday; carmela who runs to me everytime she is paranaoid about her relationship or better yet if we just want to talk about "kikay " stuff hehe, our messangers who never fails to tease me and make me laugh whenever I passby their area,my boss & miss joanna, for the words of wisdom and new things that I learn everyday ... Simple things that make my life in the office not-so- much of a boring day at work. I love my job for the simple reason that I am continuously learning a lot . I know the everyday challenges will help me be a better person =)

My first ever job was a CS Rep in a Call Center in Eastwood City. For about a year, I survived working the whole night taking calls, repeating my spiels about a hundred and five times I guess! Yes, I admit it wasnt my dream job at all... but I am very much thankful for if not for that job, I wouldn't be where I am now, I wouldn't be able to pay kyle's lawyers and tuition fees, I wouldn't be able to value time, money and relationships.I met and valued co-workers who became my friends even outside the office... baccay, rodney, peejay, ted, dhes, joanq, sheree, rhovee, reinier, justin & vina, drei,kats and others ( sorry for those I wasnt able to mention anymore!!!)And how can I forget? Globalstride is where I met jp =)

My second job NEXC is an on-line advertising & recruitment company located at The Fort. Everything is good there except that the salary was always delayed.That was the primary reason why I resigned.I opt not to rant about it anymore hehe. Secondary was the experience and challenge that I expected from the company. I wanted a job where I will be out to meet people,build a network and learn. As a Sales Executive, I just felt incomplete carrying the job title yet I was all day sitting in front of my pc waiting for emails.Our clients for mostly Americans and Asians so our communication were mostly on-line. But dont get me wrong. I learned new things while working there. Sure I miss everyone from NexC! Jasmin, Tarah, Weng, Rj,Kuya Alex and yeah our boss Josef Paier who was passionately workaholic ! Oh, Ate Liana and Leni also who left before I even resigned. My 6-months experience with the team was a memory to keep. We were all young and motivated =) I must say all of us wanted more!

After NexC, I landed on an advertising/Web Developer Company in Makati (Traffic Power). I was hired as Account Manager for cities-newsnetwork. I stayed for 3 months because again the SALARY was unreasonably delayed!!! And the DELAY was even WORST. Can you just imagine that the 15th pay was somtimes given on the 28th? How can that be if you have bills to pay,family to feed and a life to fullfill?!! It was annoying and frustrating!!! Whats with these Foreign Bosses who we thought would give better opportunities to us Filipinos? I realized NO, they were the one taking advantage putting up their businesses here and hiring Filipinos beacuse labor cost is defenitely way lower...and not even being considerate enough about their employees' welfare.(Except for call centers because they really have good incentives) Okay too much of that! I know I shouldn't be that affected anymore beacause I had my way out but I just cant help but feel annoyed up to this day.... Two weeks back, I was informed that there was a retrenchment from that office. The company had to let go of about 70-80 % of their Operations Department ...right on the spot! On that same day that they announced that they were having a retrenchment...And the reason...the company is going through a rough time.... Poor people who sticked with them all along.... I am pissed because they had to let go of my former team as well =( I feel sad because I know how reliable and responsible these people were. And of course, I had to ask myself...if I didn't decide too soon, will I be be one of them?

When I said, I loved my job now -I meant it... In my younger years, I always dreamt to travel and see the world. I didn't have that much opportunity to do so with my family because 1) my parents are not really into it , 2) my dad works abroad so he prefers to come home in the Philippines for vacation. I even wanted to take up Tourism or International Studies for college just because of the idea that i will get the opportunity to travel (lolz). My dad was negative about it because he said working as an FA is like working as a server in a restaurant-only you are on a plane. ( no offense to FA friends, he only meant well for his daughter). Going back, it wasn't planned at all ...that i'll be working in a travel industry. From all the other 3 jobs that I had, this one is different. But I love it. And I promised myself that I will do well... not for my boss, not for Regent...but for myself...

And yeah i'd still want to be my own boss.... that is why I have tubbycakes on the side.... and maybe a food kiosk in the mall, a parlor or clothes store would do later on... *wink*

No comments: